Western's Purchasing Manager is responsible for maintaining a steady flow of purchased components through all three of Western's manufacturing and assembly sites in Avon Lake, Westlake and West Cleveland. This role interfaces with Sales, Engineering and other members of the Operations team on a daily basis. Highly visible, this position is accountable for all aspects of purchased inventory planning and reduction, process improvement, cost reduction, alternate supplier development and supplier relations. The ability to coach and mentor direct reports is essential.
Vice President of Operations
5 Direct reports include domestic and international buyers at all 3 sites
Essential Duties, Responsibilities and Authorities
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for managing the Purchasing department and supporting manufacturing and assembly operations at three sites.
- Work directly with leading suppliers to ensure the on-time delivery of critical components and materials.
- Support other members of the Purchasing Team to resolve supplier issues as they arise.
- Ensure an uninterrupted supply of components and materials to support production and assembly.
- Identify and evaluate alternative lower-cost sources of supply to reduce single and sole sourcing.
- Reduce overall purchased inventory as a percentage of revenue while strategically increasing safety stocks to reduce production and assembly schedules.
- Conduct regular training sessions to ensure that the Purchasing Team is knowledgeable and following prescribed purchasing policies, stock levels and processes.
- Streamline the purchasing process and implement process improvements.
- Review demand history and major customer purchasing trends with sales team to adjust finished goods inventory while avoiding stockouts and excess inventory.
- Purchase sufficient inventory of seasonal products and components as dictated by sales demand planning.
- Work with Engineering to time new product ramp-up and component obsolescence to achieve sales objectives while minimizing obsolete inventory and launch delays.
- Consistently drive cost improvements related to purchased products and components.
- Proactively recognize and develop new suppliers while strengthening ties with current suppliers.
- Coach and mentor direct reports to build a dynamic and engaged Purchasing Team.
- Develop monthly and quarterly supplier ratings.
- Maintain annual contracts and service agreements.
- Coordinate the outsourcing of production when needed.
- Drive cost reduction efforts within the department.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Purchasing practices and negotiation techniques
- MRP/ERP system logic
- Inventory, ROP and Safety Stock calculations
- Inventory planning
- Kanban replenishment systems
- Multi-level BOM's
- ABC inventory classification and 80/20 analysis
- High mix / low volume business environment
- ISO and MDSAP quality systems highly preferred
- Microsoft Excel (must)
- MAPICS/Infor XA (preferred)
- Summarize and analyze data.
- Formulate and implement strategies aimed at achieving the goals of the department and the organization.
- Effectively manage and lead people.
- Possess and maintain self-motivation with a high degree of initiative.
- Put personal integrity above all else.
- Possess accountability for self and staff.
- Work independently - identify problems, analyze and create solutions.
- Handle multiple different situations concurrently.
- Always maintain a high sense of urgency and instill in your direct reports.
- Detail oriented.
- Willingness to do what is necessary to satisfy the customer.
- Communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization - "Know your audience."
- Proven record of implementing positive change in organizations.
- Desire to learn and grow professionally. Excel where others do not.
- Exceptional internal drive and work ethic. Constantly wants to win.
Acceptable Experience or Training:
- Bachelors Degree in Purchasing, Supply Chain, Business Administration, or a related field.
- 8+ years in a similar role preferably in a manufacturing and/or assembly environment.
- Extensive knowledge of MRP/ERP logic and alternate inventory replenishment systems.
- Comfortable spending time on manufacturing and assembly floors.
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing techniques and methodology and how to apply them to purchasing.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
APICS CPM or CPIM certification is desirable but not required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work at a computer terminal for long periods of time. Walk on manufacturing and assembly floors. Ability to work in order picking and shipping and lift up to 50 lbs. Work on the shop floor for physical inventory each year. Must have transportation to travel between plants.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office, manufacturing and assembly environments.